Hot and sour mushroom chips - dehydrator recipe


Did you know that you can turn mushrooms into crisps? And also chips, because that's exactly the same thing, just in a different version of the same language? All you need is a handy dehydrator, the merest wisp of effort, and about six hours of patience.

You did know that? Oh. I was all excited to tell you about this new thing I'd discovered, and was hoping you'd be 'oh, that's so interesting, cool, tell me a bit more'. And then I'd post a picture like this one..

... and I'd say 'look! Crisps made from fungi! From fungi!' And you'd say 'they look like elephant hide, grey and wrinkly.' And have to ask you to look past that, into their inner soul, which is way more delicious. Also, elephants are cool.

 In retrospect it's fairly obvious that you'd be able to make mushroom crisps because you can buy dehydrated porcini shards, but no one goes around chowing down on them like they're Doritos. You can with these ones, a little bit of a nod towards hot and soup that I made to stop myself eating regular potato crisps during mega-length study sessions.  I guess if you spend all day looking at the gastrointestinal tract, your thoughts will eventually turn to your stomach, I guess.

This is what I came up with - I'm pretty surprised that they turned out so good, because who would have though you could make a snack you can graze on while studying anatomy, which is not only tasty, but counts as one of your five a day?

Hot and sour mushroom crisps recipe
Ingredients
One punnet of chestnut or other mushrooms
Two teaspoons of soy sauce
Two teaspoons of rice vinegar
Half teaspoon of sriracha (optional)
Half teaspoon of sesame oil
One garlic cloves, finely grated
One small nub of ginger, finely grated
Green part of one small spring onion, finely sliced

How you do it
Cut the mushrooms into thin slices
Mix all the sauce ingredients together, then pour over the mushrooms and mix thoroughly
Leave the mix together for a minute or two to absorb
Dehydrate for about six hours, until the mushrooms are crispy.


Comments

  1. Love the sound of these! Will you show us in a post which dehydrator you have please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off I had to look up punnet. Now that that's out of the way, I'm wishing I had some of your dried mushrooms to sample! I never thought of eating the dried ones I buy (as you duly noted) because they seem so hard. But maybe if you dry your own, they are a different product. I may have to drag my drier up from the basement to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I have such a weakness for chips. Love that these mushrooms chips are so healthy and snackable! and not just healthy but hot and sour! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like mushrooms much, but this appeals. By the way, go one step better and flavour them and make vegan 'bacony' mushroom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts