A breakfast burrito by way of India


Fusion food always terrifies me. I don't know why; I think it's basically I'm going to make a dish where two cuisines hurtle towards each other like meteorites, eventually meeting with the same ferocity and horrific after effects.

Given it's MoFo, and I am powerless to defy an intriguing prompt, I decided to put my aversions to one side and try and create something edible by uniting two foods that really otherwise shouldn't be united.

So here goes: what do you think would happen when a Tex-Mex breakfast burrito met some Indian-inspired dishes?

In news that will probably be as surprising to me as it will to you, it turns out the whole thing actually tastes pretty good. As in, I-would-happily-make-this-again good. I mean, I would make it again and only probably eat half as much, because one burrito was more than enough, and after eating two first time around I had to go and lie down on the sofa in a ferocious food coma, but still I would definitely make these again.




Indian-inspired breakfast burritos
Makes two large burritos

Ingredients
Two chapatis, parathas, or Indian flat breads of your choice
One white onion
Two garlic cloves, finely sliced
Lime pickle
One medium carrot, peeled and grated
Small handful of coriander
Five poblano peppers, topped and sliced into rings
A pinch of black salt (optional)

For the spiced aloo
Mash from one medium potato
Half a teaspoon of black mustard seeds
Half a teaspoon of cumin seeds
A pinch of fennel seeds
Four or five curry leaves

For the masala tofu
A dice sized lump of ginger, finely grated
A large handful of cherry tomatoes, each cut into four
100g of drained, pressed tofu
One heaped half teaspoon of garam masala
Couple of generous pinches of asofetida
Couple of generous pinches of tumeric
Pinch of chilli powder (optional)

How you do it
Sweat the onion down in a bit of oil until caramelised.
While that's going on, put your flat breads into the oven on a low, low heat to keep them warm while you cook.
Add the garlic, cook for a couple of minutes, and then divide the mix into two by putting half in a separate pan.
Into one pan, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, and curry leaves, and cook for a minute or two until the seeds pop. Add the mash, mix thoroughly, and leave on a low heat to keep warm.
Meanwhile in the other pan, add the ginger and cherry tomatoes, and leave on a medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have yielded up all their juice.
Add the garam masala, turmeric, asofetida and chill powder and cook for a couple of seconds before adding the tofu.
Mix together and stir until tofu is coated with spices and warmed through.
Quickly fry the chopped poblano peppers until cooked.
Time to assemble the burrito! Spread each burrito with lime pickle and top with grated carrot. Top with a couple of spoons of aloo then the same of tofu, top with the poblano peppers and some coriander leaves, roll and eat!



Comments

  1. That's right - MoFo is starting!! I need to make time to read more blogs!

    I'm with you; fusion food is usually avoided. But this sounds delicious, and I love chapati...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also a bit scared by fusion cuisine, but you've definitely found a winner here. They look gigantic, which is always an important factor in a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Haha I can see why fusion food can seem scary.
    These burritos look delicious though. I once tried an Indian-Mexican fusion food truck in Sydney (I think it was called Rice and Dice) and the food was delicious! Curries with corn chips and such..I really liked it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts