Silly food

There are only two silly food traditions in our house: the dual phenomenons of 'the morning treat' and 'Joey gets the last bit'.

Joey gets the last bit is the great idea -- from whence it came, I know not -- but if me and Mr Flicking the Vs share any food, I always get the last mouthful. It's a protocol most commonly activated over a packet of dry roasted peanuts and a pint down the pub. If I don't shove that last peanut in my gob, we have agreed then there will be some kind of apocalypse. Seriously. We don't know what that apocalypse will look like, because it's never happened, but it would be awful. Basically, I'm saving the world, one dry-roasted nut at a time.

With that in mind, here's a look at some chocolate I've been eating recently, and will definitely be eating the last bits of. I'm pretty sure this all fits in with my studenty theme, as every student I know will be surviving on tea and chocolate and little else during exam time. If you're studying medicine, almost every other month is exam time, so that means medical students get through a lot of chocolate.


Kingdom is a new brand to me, but it's got vegan and British on the label, so I'm basically powerless to resit buying some.

I was also inspired by the promise of mousse chocolate because, well, it sounds delicious doesn't it? Mousse chocolate is your dessert and your petit fours in one! Only the filling wasn't particularly moussey - more just normal chocolate with a fluffy middle. Think of it as a baby Aero with a hard chocolate shell. Despite promising double darkness, this is a much less bitter, cacao-y chocolate than the label might lead you to believe. Instead, it's more reminiscent of milk chocolate than dark to me, but that's no bad thing. In short, the packaging may suggest one type of delicious chocolate, but don't be fooled: there is a completely different, but equally delicious, type of chocolate inside.

Montezumas: what can I tell you about the joy of Montezumas that you don't already know? They were one of the first vegan chocolate brands that I remember finding after I first went vegan all those years ago, and I still love them now. Though it's hard to pick a favourite among all of Monetzuma's amazing vegan flavours, if I was cursed to only eat one of them for the rest of my life,  I think I'd have to say orange and geranium.

It's definitely one of those flavours where you'll either find its floral taste intriguing or you'll want to spit it out and rinse your mouth out until you've scoured off your taste buds. Clearly, I'm in the former camp. I love this stuff.

While I always knew I loved Montezumas, the deep, all encompassing love I feel for Vivani's Dunkle Nougat is something new to me. Truly, this is one of the best bars of vegan chocolate I've had the pleasure of shoving in my face recently. If you remember Ferrero Rocher from your pregan days, then the creamy, moussey texture and chocolate-meets-hazelnut deliciousness will seem familiar to you. It's just heavenly, and in an ideal world, this would be stocked in every corner shop across London so vegans would never be too far from the chocolate of their dreams.

Coming after the resounding joy of putting Viviani in my face, iChoc's Choco Cookies was always going to be in the shade. But does that mean it's not a good bar? Not a bit of it. It's rice milk chocolate, so it will put you more in mind of milk chocolate than dark, and the chunky cookie pieces give it a more interesting texture and satisfying crunch. It leaves you with a little hint of a greasy mouth feel, but that's in keeping with its nod to milk chocolate.

In summary: four bars, four winners. Lets hope my high chocolate consumption will repay me in high grades!

Comments

  1. Thank you for this selfless research! I've often seen the Viviani bars, but never bought one - you've convinced me to take the plunge! I don't have exams as an excuse, but still...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh chocolate - that is serious stuff! I think I have seen the vivani in posh supermarkets so there is now a great excuse to visit said supermarkets - not sure if I have seen the others but would be quite prepared to buy them in the name of research

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen any of those brands! I'd like the last bite of all of them. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those Kingdom and Montezuma blocks but haven't tried the other two. Something to aspire to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've tried all of these apart from the Dunkle Nougat. I will be on the look out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see you're not lacking in the vegan chocolate department on your side of the pond. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you've got the good end of that deal! I haven't tried any of those chocolates but certainly wouldn't turn them down if offered. I feel like I've seen the Vivani one though I can't recall if in person or just online.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts